Recently I've developed a very serious addition to Krispy Creme doughnuts. It's absolutely ridiculous! It all started when one of my dialysis patients brought them in for myself and my coworker. Ever since then, we can't get enough. They literally melt in your mouth! If you've never had one, I highly recommend you walk, run, or fly to the nearest location. I'm lucky that the closest Krispy Creme store is about an hour away from my house, otherwise, I'd start looking like a doughnut around my midsection! They are always fresh, sometimes even warm! I recommend the original glazed, cinnamon bun, or jelly-filled variety. This recipe has nothing to do with doughnuts, but these cupcakes have the same "melt in your mouth" texture that I LOVE! Plus it doesn't get much better than chocolate and cream cheese!
Black-Bottom Cupcakes (adapted from the Brown Eyed Baker blog)
8 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg, at room temperature
1/2 cup Ghiradelli bittersweet chocolate chips
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
5 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup water
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 Tbps. apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease or line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper muffin cups.
2. Beat together cream cheese, sugar, and egg until smooth. Stir in chocolate chips. Set aside.
3. Whisk together flour, brown sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. In a separate bowl, mix together water, oil, vinegar, and vanilla.
4. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and gently whisk in wet ingredients. Whisk just until smooth (over-mixing will make the cupcakes tough.)
5. Divide batter among the muffin cups, filling about 3/4 full. Spoon a few tablespoons of the cream cheese filling into the center of each cupcake. The cups will be almost completely full.
5. Bake in center of oven for 25 minutes, or until tops are slightly golden brown and the cupcakes feel springy when pressed. Remove from muffin tin to cool on wire rack. Store in refrigerator.
If you eat one while they are still warm, that's when they are the gooiest! :) They also taste great after you refrigerate them!
Remember the "lickable" wallpaper in the movie Willy Wonka? Well, I wish you could lick your screen and taste this cupcake!