Caramelized Onion and Bacon Quiche
1 refrigerated 9" pie crust
1/2 pound bacon
1 medium white onion, sliced
1/4 cup milk
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
5 ounces cream cheese, softened and cubed
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Allow pie crust to come to room temperature, then place in pie plate, sealing around edges. Poke bottom of crust with a fork (to prevent crust from "puffing up" while baking without any filling.) Bake crust for 10 minutes, then remove from oven.
3. Cut bacon into large, bite-sized pieces. Cook in a large skillet over medium heat until browned. Drain on paper towels. Set aside.
4. Add onions to leftover bacon grease and cook over medium heat until caramelized (at least 15 minutes.) Drain onions on paper towels.
5. Whisk together eggs, milk, salt, and pepper in a large bowl.
6. Place bacon pieces into partially cooked pie crust. Layer caramelized onions over the bacon and top with small cubes of cream cheese. Pour egg mixture over top. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese.
7. Bake about 35 minutes until eggs are set and crust is golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before slicing.
If you are going to cook a whole pound of bacon and buy two refrigerated pie crusts, you can also make 6 mini quiches in a muffin pan. Just add 4 additional eggs to the egg mixture and an extra splash of milk. Use a biscuit cutter or bottom of a drinking glass to cut little circles out of the extra pie crust. Assemble the mini quiches the same way and bake for about 20 minutes in a muffin pan.