Faux Tso's Chicken
2 large chicken breasts
1/2 cup cornstarch
2 eggs, beaten
Salt and pepper (sprinkle of each)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
For the Sauce:
3/4 cup sugar
4 Tbsp ketchup
1/2 cup white vinegar
1 Tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp garlic powder
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat 1/2 cup vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat.
2. Tenderize and cut chicken into bite-sized pieces. Place cornstarch and egg on separate plates or breading trays. Mix salt and pepper into egg.
3. Place chicken pieces into cornstarch and toss to coat. Roll chicken in egg wash. (I know this seems backwards. I was skeptical at first too, but it works.)
4. Place chicken pieces into hot oil. Work in two batches so you don't overcrowd the pan, causing the temperature of the oil to drop. Cook until browned and crispy on all sides.
5. Transfer chicken to 8x8 inch baking dish.
6. To make the sauce, whisk together all ingredients.
7. Pour sauce over chicken and toss to coat all pieces. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. Sauce will gradually thicken as it bakes. Remove from oven and serve alone or over rice.
Even Chester liked the sticky leftover sauce on my plate!