While checking my email tonight, I came across a recipe for Baked Oatmeal. I was so excited to try it and had all the ingredients, so here I am baking at 10:30 at night! :) For those of you who have never tried it, it's the perfect combination of squishy and crispy! It's comfort food at its finest! Traditional oatmeal is just squishy, but with baked oatmeal, you get a nice crispy crust on the top. Plus you can make it on the weekend and have breakfast for the week! Try it with different toppings: fresh fruit, jam, honey, greek yogurt, almonds or pecans (just to name a few). Mine just came out of the oven and I immediately put some in a bowl. I poured some vanilla almond milk on top and drizzled it with honey. Heaven!
Baked Oatmeal (adapted from The Fresh Market recipe)
2 1/2 cups quick oats
1/2 cup steel cut oats
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 cups milk (or almond milk)
1 egg, beaten
1/3 cup applesauce
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup sliced fresh or frozen fruit (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease 9x9 inch baking dish.
2. Combine oats, steel cut oats, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon in a large bowl. Set aside.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together milk, egg, applesauce, oil, honey, brown sugar, and vanilla extract.
4. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir well to combine. Pour mixture into greased baking dish.
5. Bake uncovered for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and stir/fluff up (stir in fruit if desired). Return to oven and bake an additional 20 minutes until lightly browned and crispy. Serve warm with desired toppings. Leftovers can be refrigerated and microwaved to reheat.