Scalloped Potatoes with Kielbasa
1 pound polish kielbasa (smoked sausage), cut into half-moons
3 pounds Yukon gold potatoes (I used about 15 small potatoes)
1/2 an onion, diced
3 Tbsp flour
4 Tbsp butter
1 cup water
1 1/2 cup milk
Salt and pepper to taste
1 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a large casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
2. Peel and boil whole potatoes just until fork tender (they will continue to bake in the oven). Drain and allow to cool.
3. In a large saute pan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Add onions and saute until translucent and tender. Add flour and stir quickly to make a rue.
4. Immediately at water, whisking while pouring to prevent lumps. Once the mixture is thick and smooth, add the milk and stir. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Slice the potatoes in 1/4-inch-thick slices. Layer half of the potatoes slices evenly over the bottom of casserole dish. Layer all kielbasa slices over the potatoes. Repeat with remaining potatoes.6. Pour milk/onion mixture evenly over the top of the casserole. Push down any remaining pieces of potato that may be sticking up out of the sauce.
7. Cover with foil and bake for 35 minutes. Remove foil and top with cheddar cheese. Return to oven for 10 minutes until cheese is melted and casserole is bubbly. Allow to sit for a few minutes, then dig in like your life depends on it!!!
(Note: I highly recommend using Yukon gold potatoes in this. They have a creamier texture so it won't taste quite the same with russet or red potatoes.)