Cheesy Crispy Tuna Casserole
1 or 2 cans tuna, drained well (depending on your taste)
3/4 bag medium egg noodles
1/2 cup frozen corn
1/2 cup frozen peas
1 box organic cream of chicken soup (or 1 can Campbell's)
1/2 cup water or milk
2 cups shredded mild cheddar cheese
1 cups French fried onions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Cook egg noodles according to package directions. While noodles are cooking, open tuna and soup. Gather remaining ingredients.
3. Drain noodles. Add soup and 1/2 cup water or milk to noodles. Stir to coat. Add peas, corn, and tuna. (I like to have large tuna pieces in my casserole so I just dump it right out of the can and it breaks up slightly when mixing.) Add 1/2 cup shredded cheddar and stir into noodle mixture.
4. Spray a casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray. Pour noodle mixture evenly into dish and top with remaining cheddar cheese.
5. Bake for 25 minutes until bubbly. Remove from oven and top with 1 cup french fried onion. Bake an additional 5 minutes until onions are golden brown and crispy.
*I've tried this recipe both ways, with one can of tuna and with two cans. I honestly prefer it with one just for a milder tuna flavor. This dish would be great without any meat at all! I also recommend using StarKist Solid White Albacore in water for this recipe since it flakes nicely and isn't a can of mush like most tuna.