Ham, Gruyere, and Apple Panini (recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis)
2 Tbsp butter, at room temperature
2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced 1/4 inch thick
1 Tbsp chopped fresh thyme leaves
8 (1/2-inch-thick) slices country-style white bread
1/2 cup whole grain mustard
2 cups shredded Gruyere cheese
8 (1oz.) slices Black Forest ham
1. In a skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add the apple slices and thyme. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the apples are slightly soft, about 4 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes.
2. Preheat panini press or panini pan. Spread each bread slice with 1 Tbsp mustard.
3. Arrange 1/4 cup cheese on two bread slices.
4. Top with ham and apple slices.
5. Add remaining cheese and place bread slices on top.
6. Grill sandwiches until cheese has melted and bread is golden and crispy. (About 5-6 minutes)
***I made a few changes to this recipe. I used a sprinkle of dried thyme instead of fresh and used fresh Ciabatta bread instead of white bread. If you don't have a panini press or pan, you can use a grill pan and place a heavy pan on top of the sandwiches to press them down while they cook.
Here's some pictures from the book signing!
Giada signing my book :)