Welcome to The Pink Kitchen.....where life is fashionably delicious!!!

Monday, December 13, 2010

Granola Crunchy Person

Oh no! I'm turning into a "Granola Crunchy" person! Haha! That is what one of my friends calls those super-earthy, Patchouli-wearing, Whole Foods-shopping people! No offense to anyone who shops at natural foods stores or eats healthy, but I've always been known to love my sweets and loads of butter on everything! Until now! I recently read the book "Skinny Bitch", which if you haven't read, RUN, don't walk, to your nearest bookstore. This amazing book by Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin will truly open your eyes to how disgusting the food is that we eat. It's laugh-out-loud funny and some parts are so disgusting that you may consider never eating meat again! Ever since I read it, I am trying to make healthier food choices, hence the granola recipe. I took a nice trip to Whole Foods and rounded up the supplies for my granola. I actually got this recipe off of the Whole Foods website, where there are thousands of really great recipes. (www.wholefoodsmarket.com) Not only is this recipe delicious, it will make your whole house smell amazing! Toasting coconut, buttery macadamia nuts, creamy vanilla, what's not to love? And don't worry, eating healthy is about as "crunchy" as I will ever get. I am definitely not the "earthy" type, considering I never leave my house without makeup, wouldn't be caught dead wearing Patchouli, and am addicted to shopping! 



Coconut Macadamia Granola

Ingredients:
4 cups old-fashioned rolled oats 
1/3 cup whole-wheat pastry flour 
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut, finely shredded 
Pinch of salt 
2/3 cup pure maple syrup 
6 tablespoons canola oil or high oleic sunflower oil 
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract 
1/4 teaspoon natural coconut extract 
3/4 cup chopped macadamia nuts
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 300°F and oil a large rimmed baking sheet. Combine oats, flour, coconut and salt together in a large bowl. 
2. In a separate bowl, whisk together maple syrup, oil, vanilla and coconut extract to combine completely. Add to oat mixture, stirring well to coat. Transfer mixture to prepared baking sheet. Bake 30 minutes. 
3. Add macadamia nuts, turning and stirring the granola to mix them in. Continue to bake an additional 30 minutes.
4. Remove from oven and allow the granola to cool completely. Store in an airtight container in a cool dark place or in the refrigerator.


Alissa's notes: It's best if you stir the granola about every 10 minutes in the oven, so that it all toasts evenly. I omitted the coconut extract and added more vanilla extract instead. Also, I used regular shredded, sweetened coconut flakes from the baking aisle. Enjoy this granola with milk, on yogurt, or by itself. It's so yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment