Welcome to The Pink Kitchen.....where life is fashionably delicious!!!

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Take a peek inside...

If you've ever wondered what makes the Pink Kitchen so "pink", well you are about to find out! It all started with my pink KitchenAid Artisan stand mixer my mom gave me as a wedding shower gift. I've always loved the color pink, and I didn't even care that I may never find other pink things for my kitchen. Ever since October has been recognized as Breast Cancer Awareness Month, I haven't had any difficulties finding pink objects for my kitchen (and other parts of my house for that matter). And for those of you who may be wondering what my husband thinks of all this pink stuff, he knew what he was getting into when he said "I do", plus he's so laid back that he doesn't care how I decorate! So, take a peek!

The piece that started it ALL!!!

The pink blender I use every morning for my Shakeology

Various pink colanders

Lots of pink bowls (the ones on the left are my favorite from Williams-Sonoma)

Canister full of dog treats for my Chester

 On my stovetop always!

Too many spatulas

Love my Santoku knives

Cutting boards (I like to use these ones for meat)

Random gadgets (ice cream scooper, can opener, peeler, garlic press)

Bundt pan (has cute little hearts for Valentine's day)

Cake stand (because everyone needs a cake stand, haha!) 

I love William-Sonoma kitchen towels!

This one's sideways, but it's my apron!

I hope you enjoyed your tour of my "pink kitchen"! And since no post is complete without a delicious recipe, here's another winner! This recipe seems to have a lot of ingredients, but it's really easy to make and you will be eating leftovers for days!

Crab Manicotti with Bechamel Sauce

Ingredients:

1 box Manicotti pasta
1 15oz. ricotta (whole milk or part skim)
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 Tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped (or 1 tsp dried parsley)
1 c. imitation crab legs, diced
1 6oz. can fancy lump crabmeat
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 egg yolk

Bechamel sauce:

5 Tbsp. butter
1/2 c. flour
4 c. whole milk (or 2%)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
pinch of grated nutmeg

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix together ricotta, 1 c. mozzarella, imitation crabmeat, salt, pepper, egg yolk and parsley. Fold in canned crab meat last, stirring gently so you don't break up the lumps of meat.
3. Cook manicotti until al dente (according to directions on box). Drain and lay in a single layer on a baking sheet to cool (this way they don't all stick together).
4. To make the bechamel sauce, melt butter in a saucepan. Add flour and whisk until combined. Add rest of ingredients and cook over medium, whisking occasionally, until thickened.
5. Spray a 9x13 inch baking dish with cooking spray. Stuff each manicotti with the crab/cheese mixture and place in a single layer in baking dish.
6. Pour bechamel sauce over the pasta. Sprinkle with 1 c. mozzarella and 1/2 c. grated parmesan.
7. Bake for 20 minutes until bubbly.


Alissa's notes: I've done this recipe both ways, with whole milk/whole milk ricotta and 2% milk/part skim ricotta. It tastes good either way, the first is just thicker and creamier. Be sure to squeeze all the excess moisture out of the canned crab meat (just like you would with tuna.) Stuffing manicotti can be tricky, but gets easier with practice. I like to use a spreader (a little one like you would use to serve cheese spread or dip) to stuff the filling into the tubes. You can also turn on the broiler for the last few minutes if you want the cheese to brown on top (since parmesan cheese tastes even better this way!) Just watch it carefully so it doesn't burn. Don't forget the nutmeg in the bechamel sauce. It's gives the sauce that "little something extra"! So yummy!


1 comment:

  1. I love your pink blender! I need to get a better one to mix my Shakeology everyday! Anyone wondering what Shakeology is? Check it out at www.Shakeology.com/Dancer5678 it is the Healthiest Meal of the Day! Chocolate is our favorite!

    ReplyDelete