Welcome to The Pink Kitchen.....where life is fashionably delicious!!!

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Feisty Fajitas

I am known to get cravings for Mexican food! My husband and I frequently visit two very good Mexican restaurants in our area. There is something about all that warm, spicy flavor being washed down with a nice, refreshing margarita (on the rocks with salt is how I like mine). We went to Puerto Rico on our honeymoon where we enjoyed a fabulous Mexican meal right in the heart of old San Juan. It was a cute, quaint restaurant and the food was amazing! I had the best chicken nachos there (and a tasty raspberry margarita too!) Then about one year ago, I went to the Dominican Republic with my mom and got to experience even more Spanish-style food that I had never tried before. Chorizo, a spicy sausage, was my greatest finding and I have since used it in many recipes. I've also always been a fan of fajitas, but I usually get chicken or carnitas (pork). For something new, I wanted try a recipe for Shrimp fajitas. This is the one I recently made and they were delicious! "Una comida muy buena!" 



Shrimp Fajitas

Ingredients:

1 1/4 pounds raw shrimp
1 clove garlic, chopped
Drizzle of extra virgin olive oil 
Pinch of red (cayenne) pepper, or more if you like it spicy
1/4 tsp paprika
Salt and pepper to taste
1 red bell pepper, sliced in strips
1 green bell pepper, sliced in strips
1 small onion, chopped lengthwise
6 large flour tortillas
Sour cream
Shredded Cheddar-Jack cheese


Directions:

1. Drizzle olive oil in a hot saute pan. Cook garlic in oil for 1 minute. Add raw shrimp (tails and shells removed.) Season with cayenne, paprika, salt, and pepper. Once shrimp is pink, remove from pan.
2. Drizzle more olive oil in pan and add chopped onion and peppers. Season with salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat until veggies are tender (onions will begin to brown).
3. Add shrimp back to the pan and continue to cook all ingredients for a few minutes for flavors to combine.
4. Spoon fajita mixture into flour tortillas and top with shredded cheese and sour cream.


Alissa's notes: All you need to complete this simple meal is a margarita!!! Makes great leftovers, too! You could also top these fajitas with some salsa or guacamole.

No comments:

Post a Comment